Hi everyone, how are you doing today? Delhi is facing a Dengue wave and two of my family members have suffered from it one after the other in the past 3 weeks. Thankfully we discovered it in early stages and they have recovered from it. Also the humidity and heat here this month, when many parts of the world are welcoming fall, made me break out in a heat rash all over my neck last week; hence no makeup posts 🙁 Anyhow, on a different and much happier note, I have been having fun doing my #SubscribeToSmooth Challenge that I accepted from Gillette India last month, read more about the Gillette #SubscribeToSmooth Challenge post here. Today I have a little update on the challenge and also some do’s and don’t about shaving that I have learnt from the Gillette India Blogger Event. Read on and also share your opinions about this topic!
#SubscribeToSmooth Challenge Update:
I have now been shaving me arms and legs every few days with the Gillette Venus Aloe Shaving Gel and the razor. I am so relieved since I do not have to wait for the hair to grow a certain length to get it waxed. I can remove it at my own convenience from the comfort of my home.
I have not seen any difference to my skin in terms of darkening etc. and I do not see any change in the density/color of my hair. I have really benefited from taking this challenge, I would have never considered shaving as my primary hair removal technique otherwise.
From now onwards I plan on shaving my legs and arms, and go for waxing every so often whenever I have time to get the benefit of dead skin removal!
That is it about my update, but keep reading about some of the Do’s and Don’t of shaving!
Do’s of Shaving:
- Do Stretch and Shave: The underarm skin and behind your knees is supple and flexible to allow movement at these jointed areas, which can make it harder to shave as the skin moves with the razor. To keep these areas as taut as possible for a cleaner shave, stretch your arm up and reach your hand behind your shoulder, and pull your leg straight.
- Do Leave Fiddly Bits until Last: Ankles, back of knees and thighs are best dealt with as you get into the flow of a shave and most in control of the razor.
- Do Store Your Razor Correctly: Store your razor in an upright position and somewhere dry. Do not leave it on the bath side in the pools of water as this is a breeding ground for bacteria.
Don’ts of Shaving:
- Don’t Soak in the Bath for Too long Before Shaving: The skin will over-hydrate and swell slightly as it begins to absorb water. This will compromise the smoothness of the shave. The optimum time for a pre-shave soak is approximately one to two minutes.
- Don’t Apply Too Much Pressure On You Razor: A precision made female razor like Gillette Venus is designed to glide with minimum effort over the skin’s surface. Forcing the razor can end up leaving you with nicks.
- Don’t Worry About Direction: Modern Razors are so effective that you can shave in any direction that feels comfortable to you. However, the hairs on our underarm area grow in random directions so for a truly clean shaven feeling you need to work in a variety of directions also.
- Don’t Rub Your Razors To Try To Clean it with Brushes or Towels: Just rinsing is enough to clean the razor because rubbing can blunt the blade and damage the coatings – these blades are incredibly fine and need to be handled gently even while cleaning!
That is all about my #SubscribeToSmooth challenge. What are your thoughts about shaving? I’d love to know your take, do leave your comments below!
Buy the Gillette Venus razor and shave gel from Flipkart, Amazon. For information, check out the Gillette Venus App.